What do I do if my landlord didn't lodge my bond with the RTBA?

By Anika Legal | Tue 4th July '23

My tenancy has just started - what do I do?

After you pay the bond money to your landlord, they must lodge your bond with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority or 'RTBA' within 10 business days of receiving it. The RTBA will send you a receipt.

If you have not received a receipt from the RTBA 15 business days after giving the bond to your landlord, you should take the following steps:

  • Check in with your agent (if there is one) or landlord, and remind them that they must lodge your bond with the RTBA.
  • If they refuse to or you don’t receive a response, you should notify the RTBA and ask them to help you check if the bond you paid has been lodged.

If your landlord or their agent doesn't lodge your bond with the RTBA, you can also make a report to Consumer Affairs Victoria. Consumer Affairs Victoria does not have the power to make the landlord pay the bond to the RTBA, but there are penalties for not lodging a bond which Consumer Affairs Victoria can apply.

My tenancy has ended - how do I get my money back?

If your landlord has not lodged the bond with the RTBA, you can apply to the Victoria Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for an order against your landlord.

VCAT can order your landlord to either:

  • lodge the bond with the RTBA, or
  • pay your bond money directly back to you if your tenancy has ended.

Some things to remember before making an application:

  • the application is free
  • if you are living with other renters, you must include their details on the application form, and
  • you should try and resolve the matter with your landlord before making an application.

We last updated this page in February 2024. Please remember that this is only legal information. If you're thinking about taking action, you should chat to a lawyer for advice about your situation first.

How useful was this content?